ansible-vault create foo.yml returns [Errno 2] No such file or directory
Patrick S
2014-06-17 09:58:17 UTC

I'm running version 1.6.2 and when going through the documentation and
copying the ansible-vault create example:

ansible-vault create foo.yml

The following is returned:
ansible-vault create foo.yml
Vault password:
Confirm Vault password:
ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

When running the encrypt command, on the other hand, it is able to encrypt
the file.
Sadly, from the encrypted state, then running the edit command returns the
usual '[Errno 2]' error.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you :-)
Michael DeHaan
2014-06-17 19:14:21 UTC
Hmm, that's curious.

Do you have permissions on the current directories and such?

Anyway, 1.6.3 is the latest release version - let us know if the problem
exists there.
Hi,
Patrick S
2014-06-17 22:04:28 UTC
Post by Patrick S
Hi,
I'm running version 1.6.2 and when going through the documentation and
ansible-vault create foo.yml
ansible-vault create foo.yml
ERROR: [Errno 2] No such file or directory
When running the encrypt command, on the other hand, it is able to encrypt
the file.
Sadly, from the encrypted state, then running the edit command returns the
usual '[Errno 2]' error.
Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you :-)
Hi,

It turns out that when I echo'd $EDITOR in Ubuntu nothing was aliased.
Running EDITOR=/usr/bin/vim resolved the issue.

The error message put me on the wrong tracks in the sense that 'No file or
directory' is not quite the same as something such as 'No default editor
set'.

I hope this helps others.
Michael DeHaan