[ansible-project] module is missing interpreter line
Guy Knights
2015-02-15 19:01:32 UTC
I'm hitting an error when I run a playbook that's spitting out the error
"module is missing interpreter line". It's dying on a task that uses the
file module to copy a file to the remote server. I never had any trouble
with this task until I tried to run the latest Ansible code in an attempt
to fix an issue with a completely different task in the same playbook.

On this system I'm using the latest release branch (1.8.2) from the ubuntu
PPA, but to try and fix my other failing task I copied my ansible.cfg file
and adjusted the settings as necessary so I could use a cloned copy of the
ansible devel branch to run the playbook instead. I started seeing this new
error once I used the devel branch, so I tried to go back and re-run my
playbook using the 1.8.2 version already installed on my system (using the
original config file), but the error continued. The task in question (which
hasn't changed at all since I did all this, neither has anything else in
the playbook) is below:

- name: install private docker registry CA cert
sudo: yes
copy:
src=../files/docker_registry.pem
dest=/usr/local/share/ca-certificates/docker_registry.pem
owner=root
group=root
mode=0600

I thought perhaps it might be a cached setting or module on the remote
system that was causing the error, so I removed the entire .ansible
directory from the remote user's home directory, but it didn't fix the
error.

Does anyone know how I can fix this?

Thanks,
Guy
Giovanni Tirloni
2015-02-16 01:08:20 UTC
Post by Guy Knights
I'm hitting an error when I run a playbook that's spitting out the error
"module is missing interpreter line". It's dying on a task that uses the
file module to copy a file to the remote server. I never had any trouble
with this task until I tried to run the latest Ansible code in an attempt
to fix an issue with a completely different task in the same playbook.
Hi Guy,

Do you get just that error line or is there a full stack trace? Please
send the output of `ansible --version` too.

Giovanni
Brian Coca
2015-02-16 13:46:29 UTC
make sure you removed the previous version, module loading changed and
some old file might be interfering with loading the correct module.
--
Brian Coca
Guy Knights
Guy Knights
2015-02-17 19:41:41 UTC
Hi Giovanni,

No, there's no stack trace. Just that error line.

Unfortunately I'm not at home right now but when I get the chance I'll post
it here.

Thanks,
Guy
<javascript:>>